IRS System for Ordering Tax Return Transcripts

The new IRS system for ordering tax return transcripts is now available. It is called “Get Transcript” and allows users to get a record of past tax returns, also referred to as tax return transcripts. IRS tax return transcripts are used to validate income and tax filing status.

“Get Transcript” allows users to request a tax return transcript to be mailed if the tax return for the chosen year has been processed.

Financial Aid Requirements for Verification

If you visit FASFA on the Web at and complete the Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) process, your IRS tax information will be imported into your financial aid application. This eliminates the requirement to turn in a Tax Return Transcript and W2s. If you are unwilling or unable to use the DRT, you must request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and also turn in all W2 forms.

For students that have been selected for verification, please be aware that the IRS Online Get Transcript service is currently unavailable to print an online copy. You can still use this site to order a tax return transcript by mail.

Students can “Get Transcript by Mail” at To use “Get Transcript by Mail”, you need your Social Security number (SSN) or your Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), date of birth, and address from your latest tax return.

Transcripts can also be ordered by phone at 1-800-908-9946.

Transcripts can be requested by mail with a paper request form – IRS Form 4560T-EZ


  • Only the first person listed on the federal tax returns can order a transcript.
  • It is free to order or view a tax return transcript.
  • Do not request a Tax Account Transcript or Record of Account because they cannot be used for financial aid verification purposes.
  • The U.S. Department of Education no longer accepts copies of a tax return for verification purposes. The only exception is if you filed amended tax returns.
  • If you filed an amended tax return, you will need to submit a signed copy of your original IRS Form 1040 or a Tax Return Transcript, AND a signed copy of your IRS Form 1040X.