Written Student Complaints

The Division of Enrollment Management (DEM) defines a written student complaint as a letter from a currently enrolled student addressed to a member of the staff in the DEM detailing a specific complaint. An email is not considered to constitute a written complaint in the context of this policy. Student issues that fall under an existing formal and established appeals process or that are not related to the DEM mission are excluded from this procedure and should follow the established appeal process.

Steps for processing written student complaints

  • The written complaint will be reviewed and submitted to the director of each unit of the division to be logged and for a response to be prepared and mailed to the student.
  • If the problem remains unresolved the student may appeal in writing to the Vice President and Associate Provost for Enrollment Management or his/her designee.

The student always retains the right to pursue the issue directly with the University of Florida Ombuds.

The last university official to address the student’s complaint, whether the resolution was in the students favor or not, constitutes resolution of the issue

Office for Student Financial Affairs – Procedures for Filing a Written Complaint
To submit a formal written complaint, direct your letter to the financial aid assistant or associate director of the area or employee to which you are leveling your complaint. If you are uncertain to whom your letter should be directed, you may address it to the Director of Student Financial Affairs. An exception would be complaints involving the Director; for such issues, complaints should be submitted to the Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management. If you are not sure who the appropriate person is, please call our office at (352) 392-1275 and ask for assistance.

The University is required to provide both current and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accrediting body and the appropriate state agency for handling complaints in a student’s resident state. The University of Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS). If you would like to file a complaint with the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, download the http://flexible.dce.ufl.edu/media/flexibledceufledu/documents/sacs-complaint-form.pdfSACS Complaint Procedures Form. If you have a complaint, contact the appropriate authority in your state of residence. A list of available complaint process information for all states is available http://flexible.dce.ufl.edu/student-complaintshere.

Student Financial Aid Departmental Directory Information

Area Assistant/Associate Director
Financial aid advising (main campus) Zack O’Neill/Nolan Simmons
Financial aid satellite offices Vernon Wright/Brenda Noblitt
Verification/Academic Progress Jennifer Bennett/Brenda Noblitt
State Programs/Student Employment Max Mauney/Tina Lamb

Letters should be mailed to:
Office for Student Financial Affairs
PO Box 114025
Gainesville, FL 32611-4025