Special Categories

SFA recognizes that not all students’ financial situations are the same. We make every effort to develop policies and procedures that treat each student fairly and equitably while taking into account unusual circumstances. Certain categories of students have special needs and issues of importance, and SFA strives to meet those needs.

Graduate Students

In addition to the Graduate Grant, graduate students may apply for Federal Direct Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans, and most work programs described in this Application Guide. Graduate students pursuing master’s or doctoral degrees can also apply for fellowships, assistantships, and other awards offered through individual colleges and the Graduate School. For these awards, students should apply through the dean’s office of their college or department and check on their application deadlines.

Students applying for loans or work through SFA should understand that fellowships, fee waivers, and health insurance benefits must be included in aid packages. Students who accept an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship must receive Graduate School approval before accepting other employment.

You are responsible for notifying SFA of all assistance you receive from any source. Receiving fellowships or fee waivers affects eligibility for aid through SFA.

Contact the http://gradschool.ufl.eduGraduate School for more information about graduate aid. The Office of Research, Technology, and Graduate Education in 256 Grinter Hall maintains a comprehensive list of private and outside scholarships and fellowships.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Transient Students

In order to receive financial aid as a transient student you must complete a Transient Student Admissions Application at https://www.floridashines.org/www.floridashines.org. To receive financial aid (other than the federal Pell Grant) you must be enrolled at least halftime in any State of Florida university or college.

Once the Admissions, Academic Adviser and Registrar have approved your Transient Student Admissions Application, if you have indicated you would like to be considered for financial aid, it will be electronically routed to the Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships. Upon receipt of the transient form, our office will determine if you are qualified for federal, state or institutional aid for the term listed on the application. Financial aid will not be disbursed until after the end of the drop-add period for the term you will be enrolled and we have received the electronic certification of enrollment from the host school.

After you have completed the Transient Student Admissions Application and the certification of enrollment has been received, your funds will then be disbursed via direct deposit to your bank account or mailed to your local address as listed in the UF Directory.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: You are responsible for meeting any registration and fee payment deadlines at the host school. The host school is not required to offer you the option of deferred payment even though you have financial aid.

If you have questions or need assistance, please contact your financial aid adviser at (352) 392-1275.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Students With Disabilities

Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFA) in S-107 Criser Hall and the Dean of Students Office (DSO) Disability Resource Center in 001 Reid Hall work together to assist students with disabilities. Criser and Peabody Halls are wheelchair accessible.

When applying for aid through SFA, students with disabilities may qualify for an increase in their educational budgets to cover disability-related expenses. For financial aid purposes, undergraduates must be registered for at least 12 credit hours per semester to be considered full-time, even if application has been made for a reduced courseload through DSO. DSO helps determine disability-related expenses not offered or provided by other agencies.

The Disability Resource Center’s phone numbers are: (352) 392-8565 (V); fax (352) 392-8570. For a TDD number call the Florida Relay Service. Dial 711 or 1-800-955-8770 for voice assistance.
For more information, contact the https://disability.ufl.eduDisability Resource Center.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

International Students

Students in the U.S. on an F1, F2, J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa, or a G-series visa are not eligible to receive federal aid administered by SFA. These students, however, may be eligible for private or college-awarded scholarships administered by agencies other than our office. The UF http://www.ufic.ufl.edu/International Center (UFIC) and http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/international/SFA International Students webpages have information on other programs and resources available to international students.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Undocumented Students

Undocumented students and students with DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) do not qualify for federal or state aid in Florida. Additional information and resources for undocumented students can be found on the http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/additional-information/undocumented-students/SFA website.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top


Veterans who are enrolled students can work up to twenty-five hours per week tax-free through VA Work-Study. Veterans also are entitled to Tutorial Assistance benefits, through which they are reimbursed for tutorial expenses. Questions on VA benefits should be addressed to the VA Coordinator in the UF Registrar’s Office in Criser Hall. More information can be found at the http://www.veterans.ufl.eduUF Office for Veteran’s Affairs Website.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Postbaccalaureate Student

Post-baccalaureate students will have their status evaluated based on the information given to SFA from the Office of the University Registrar. Financial aid eligibility is directly related to a student’s degree-seeking status.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Transfer student

Generally, financial aid cannot be transferred from one institution to another. In most cases, you must reapply for aid. If you plan to transfer to UF:

  1. Contact both SFA and the financial aid office at the institution you currently attend for transfer policies.
  2. When you receive your Federal Student Aid Report (SAR) from the processor, be sure the University of Florida (Federal School Code 001535) is listed as a “School to Receive Results” of your FAFSA.
  3. If you are receiving a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship or other aid program from the State of Florida, contact the Florida Department of Education in Tallahassee. Inform them that your school of record is UF.
  4. If you are receiving a Federal Direct Loan or Federal Family Education Loan at your current school, you must cancel that loan, reapply at SFA, and contact all your previous lenders to update your enrollment status and new address.

#top#top#top#top#top#top#top#top» top

Flexible Learning

Federal regulations allow flexible learning (formerly: correspondence study) work taken in addition to regular course work to be included in determining a student’s enrollment status under the following conditions:

  • The flexible learning work must apply toward the student’s degree or be remedial work taken to help the student in his or her course of study.
  • The flexible learning work must be enrolled in, and completed within, the semester for which the hours are used to increase the student’s enrollment status for financial aid purposes.

Note: In certain instances, financial aid cannot be disbursed for flexible learning hours until after you have completed and received a final grade for your correspondence courses. Check with your financial aid adviser to see how flexible learning hours are treated for the aid programs you expect to receive. http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/pdf/FlexibleLearning.pdfMore information on financial aid eligibility for flexible learning/correspondence courses is available. You must complete the http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/pdf/FlexibleLearningPlanofWork.pdfPlan of Work for Flexible Learning form to be eligible for financial aid for flexible learning courses.

The beginning and end dates for inclusion of flexible learning work in a semester at the University of Florida are:

Enrollment Date On or After Completion Date Credit Hours Included In
August 22 December 17 Fall Semester
January 7 May 6 Spring Semester
May 13 August 12 Summer Semester

Note: Total flexible learning hours included cannot exceed the number of credit hours for which the student is enrolled through the regular registration system; i.e., if you are enrolled for three credit hours via the regular registration system, the maximum flexible learning credit hours you can use to increase your enrollment status for financial aid purposes is three.


  1. Provide one of your assigned financial aid advisers in Student Financial Aid and Scholarships (SFA) with proof that you have completed your first lessons in all courses you would like to have used to increase your enrollment status. Florida Bright Futures scholarships do not require proof of first assignment or that flexible learning courses be completed prior to payment. Failure to provide notification to SFA in a timely manner may disqualify or decrease your eligibility for some financial aid programs. Note: Some state programs and the Federal Pell Grant require an enrollment date of no later than the last day of the regular UF drop/add period for a correspondence course to be eligible for inclusion in a particular term.
  2. If you are receiving Federal Pell Grants, notify SFA once you have completed all course work for a determination of eligibility for inclusion toward your enrollment status. You must complete the course by the end of the term in which you enrolled to be eligible for additional Pell.
  3. All federal loan requirements must be completed by the end of the term. If requirements have not been completed by the end of the term, your federal loans will be cancelled.