“Federal Verification” is a review process, mandated by the federal government, to check the accuracy of information reported on financial aid documents submitted by students and their families. Nationwide, the federal government selects more than 30 percent of student financial aid applications for verification.
If your application is selected for verification, you will receive official notification from the Department of Education via your Federal Student Aid Report (SAR). Do not submit any documents unless we request that you do so.
Notification by UF is done after we receive the student’s processed electronic SAR from the federal servicer. UF notifies students they have been selected for verification by emailing each selected applicant regarding required documentation. You can check your financial aid status on https://student.ufl.edu/ONE.UF to determine what documents to provide.
Aid funds cannot be disbursed to you until you have submitted all requested documents and the accuracy of the information has been reviewed.
View video on YouTube https://youtu.be/mdY4yldwfbE“Financial Aid Federal Verification Forms”.
View video on YouTube https://youtu.be/0_orkbpR13Q“Uploading Federal Verification Documents”.
View video on YouTube https://youtu.be/afEAMjvdOnk“Federal Verification IRS Documentation”.
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) to transfer your data to your FAFSA. A Tax Return Transcript is not needed if you use the DRT.
- Turn in all documents requested by SFA as soon as possible.
- Be sure all documents are signed.
- Be sure your name and UFID are on all documents you submit.
- Keep photocopies of all information you submit and record the date you send in the documents.
- Keep Photocopies of all W-2’s and request an IRS Tax Return Transcript to keep on hand.
To request a Tax Return Transcript and/or W-2 information, call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946 or go online to https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcripthttps://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript.
- Submit incomplete or illegible documents. If you do, they will be returned to you with a request for acceptable forms, causing a delay in processing your aid.
- Submit photocopies of Income Tax Returns – per federal regulations, these can no longer be accepted. Official IRS Tax Return Transcripts must be submitted if income verification is requested.
- Forget to sign your forms.
- Submit any documentation unless requested by SFA.
A copy of SFA’s verification procedures is available as a downloadable pdf http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/isis/1920VerificationProc.pdfhere.