UF offers financial aid for graduate students, including employment and loan programs. Graduate students should begin by applying for aid, using https://studentaid.gov/fafsaFAFSA on the Web.
For fellowship or assistantship applications, applications for admission, and application deadlines, contact the chairperson of your department.
For most financial aid programs at UF, you must:
- Be a U. S. citizen, national, or permanent resident alien.
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at least half time in a degree program. Exception: Federal Pell Grants. Complete enrollment information is available http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/receiving-your-aid/enrollment-requirements/here.
- Make satisfactory http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/process/additional-information/satisfactory-academic-progress-policy/academic progress toward a degree.
- Register with the Selective Service Administration, if required to do so.
- Not be in default on a federal or institutional loan or owe a repayment on a previous financial aid award received at UF or other institution.
Note: Students enrolled in graduate certificate programs are not eligible for federal student aid. Students enrolled in approved graduate certificate programs may be eligible for Alternative loans.
Grants, Loans & Employment
Programs designed specifically for graduate students include:
- http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/grants/The Graduate Grant
- http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/loans/subsidized-and-unsubsidized-loans/Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
- http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/loans/graduate-plus/Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loans
- http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/employment/Most employment programs
http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/loans/alternative-loans/Alternative loans are available to students who are not eligible for financial aid or who need additional funds, beyond http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/types-of-aid/loans/parent-plus/Grad PLUS loans, to meet educational expenses.
Graduate Assistantships & Fellowships
https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/Graduate School Fellowships are premier awards for newly enrolled PhD and MFA students and provide four years (three for MFA) of support, including full tuition, plus a nationally competitive stipend. All packages include at least one year of a graduate research or teaching assistantship. Interested applicants should contact the academic unit for information.
https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/Grinter Fellowships are supplemental awards to help recruit truly exceptional graduate students. Currently enrolled students are not eligibile, except when entering a PhD program. Supplemental stipends are normally $2,000-4,000. For more information, visit https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/funding/Graduate Student Support: Funding or contact your major academic unit.
http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/searchSFA’s Scholarship Search Engine contains a comprehensive database of college-awarded scholarships and aid for graduate students. From the search terms, simply choose “Degree,” then “Graduate.”
https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/ogsse/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/ogsse/UF Office of Graduate Student Support & Engagement
Within the UF Graduate School, the https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/ogsse/https://grad.ufl.edu/gss/ogsse/UF Office of Graduate Student Support & Engagement coordinates special programs, events, and funding opportunities aimed at recruiting, mentoring, and retaining graduate students.
Reporting Aid to SFA
Students applying for loans or work through SFA should understand that fellowships, fee waivers, and health insurance benefits are considered part of a student’s financial aid package, and as such, affect eligibility for aid through SFA. Students must report all such aid on https://one.uf.eduONE.UF using the “Additional Aid Reporting” page.
Students who accept an assistantship, fellowship or traineeship must receive graduate school approval before accepting other employment.
- https://sg.ufl.edu/resources/gsc/The Graduate Student Council offers a growing number of travel grants to UF students and lists them https://sg.ufl.edu/resources/gsc/grants/here.